The Strange (But True) History of Hysteria

Comments

1. belovedchaos1

belovedchaos14 days ago

Ohh thank goodness...and here I thought I was going crazy. Ha ha ha

2. Guest Informant

Guest InformantMonth ago

This is happening with autism.

3. qiaomei zhang

qiaomei zhangMonth ago

BeCaUsE ThAt Is ToTaLlY hOw It WoRkS

4. [GD] Hali

[GD] HaliMonth ago

*3:35* Well.. now we know where that came from.

5. Alyssa Weaver Nelson

Alyssa Weaver NelsonMonth ago

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)

6. Herbert Miller

Herbert MillerMonth ago

Next time I disagree with my girlfriend I'm going to say "Get your uterus back in place." I bet you that will work out well.

7. Bessorah Rubenstein-Vered

Bessorah Rubenstein-VeredMonth ago

Funny story: Many women with endometriosis used to be diagnosed with Hysteria, and endometriosis is sort of like having your uterus wandering around, except it's only the lining and we don't really know now how it happens.

8. Robot Zombie

Robot ZombieMonth ago

Didnt doctors masturbated female patients against their will?

9. Joyce Chen

Joyce ChenMonth ago

it's the *hysteri* of hysteria

10. Dan

DanMonth ago

In defense of the doctors of that time, it doesn't seem that far fetched to think that the uterus can extend to higher reaches of the torso. When a woman is in the later stages of pregnancy, the uterus does stretch to be quite large to contain the unborn infant. It seems reasonable to think that it could reach at least that far, if not further when there's not a human growing in there. I'm doubtful that they thought it detached and wandered about on its own, so much as it stretched up and interfered with other organs. Obviously, we now know that the uterus doesn't really do that, but the idea isn't as ridiculous as this video makes it out to be. Sometimes the human body does some pretty strange things.

11. Moribund Murdoch

Moribund MurdochMonth ago

tarassis - The male equivlant of hysteria (which technically only applied to women)

12. That Random Rabbit

That Random RabbitMonth ago

This is so funny

13. Barbara Ann Baugh

Barbara Ann BaughMonth ago

Those symptoms sound a lot like PMS strange they never thought of chocolate :)

14. WorldReligion

WorldReligionMonth ago

I enjoyed your video but I think you should've been more honest about the sexual assaults and rapes that happened on women when men said they were sick for no reason other than maybe they weren't feeling well or they had a mental issue to deal with

15. the night hAunter war/russian/aidan/doctor/doyle

the night hAunter war/russian/aidan/doctor/doyleMonth ago

this videos hilarious.

16. Teri Yama

Teri YamaMonth ago

I just think of Def Leppard and I’m happy

17. Zenny Abanales

Zenny AbanalesMonth ago

What's with the ancient hatred of the uterus? It's not like we went around blaming the testicles for wandering around your groin area causing health problems, then suggest that the only way to solve it was for men to get laid often. People back then were strange.

18. Tori Green

Tori GreenMonth ago

If only my doctors didn’t dismiss my symptoms as if they still believe in hysteria now...

19. Pressity Smith

Pressity SmithMonth ago

WTF?! That was JUST removed from the DSM in 1980?!

20. Cleaner White

Cleaner WhiteMonth ago

that uterus in the thumbnail kinda look like Pink Panther

21. Lady Alteria

Lady AlteriaMonth ago

Oh Freud and your sex lol

22. Mama Val Promise

Mama Val PromiseMonth ago

Hey! Endometriosis *is* a thing! Look it up!

23. Electro-Cute

Electro-CuteMonth ago

Wandering uterus made me dumber, oh gees @~@'

24. MORSMORDRE

MORSMORDREMonth ago

So basically, PMS has plagued us for thousands of years. 😕

25. Marceliaan

MarceliaanMonth ago

Women can move their uterus back in place by twerking. It's a proven fact.

26. nikko marino

nikko marinoMonth ago

Man: My leg hurts. Doctor: You're ankle is sprained. Woman: My leg hurts. Doctor: Your uterus is wandering because you don't have enough sex. 😕

27. Joy De

Joy DeMonth ago

'Wandering uterus' must be metaphorical.. not literal..

28. Brittney Burns

Brittney Burns2 months ago

Wandering uterus has made my day lol

29. Piano With Corey

Piano With Corey2 months ago

It’s crazy that we’re going to look back at our current medical diagnoses and treatments in a couple hundred years and be shaking our heads just the same!

30. pisceanrat

pisceanrat2 months ago

Bring back the goatee

31. Kayla C.

Kayla C.2 months ago

Hysteria was in the DSM until 1980?? Yikes.

32. Geneva Yaeno

Geneva Yaeno2 months ago

No wonder women's reproductve health still isn't well researched, look at how far behind we were only less than 100 years ago

33. Geneva Yaeno

Geneva Yaeno2 months ago

On top of that, women are too often not taken seriously by their doctors, making it even more difficult for us to make progress

34. Eyes of Supreme

Eyes of Supreme2 months ago

the hell...?

35. harringaj

harringaj2 months ago

The same Greek base is why we call removing the uterus hysterectomy

36. collegeman1988

collegeman19882 months ago

Decades ago, I took a course in abnormal psychology, and the psychology professor lectured about this in a part of a presentation she gave on prevailing zeitgeists of the past. She also told us they would use smoldering dung to keep a woman’s uterus from wandering.

37. 1-Minute Medical Terminology

1-Minute Medical Terminology2 months ago

Guess it will take another century or two for "uterectomy" to replace "hysterectomy" as a household word! 😉

38. Jessalyn

Jessalyn2 months ago

There should be a follow up to this about how it has historically led doctors to repeatedly dismiss many female patients complaints as "emotional" or "hormonal" when they were having actual medical problems. "But don't take my word for it..." There's extensive case studies on this.

39. Sarah Fey

Sarah Fey2 months ago

Is it bad that this will be the high point of my day? Probably...

40. Katarina Bergqwist

Katarina Bergqwist2 months ago

You should all watch the movie Hysteria from 2011.

41. kannddyy19

kannddyy192 months ago

It really just seems like they had no explanation for periods...

42. george boyd

george boyd2 months ago

Women are crazy... Cuz they're women!

43. Zapphy Eff

Zapphy Eff2 months ago

'Your uterus is wandering around inside your body, you should get married and have babies about it' - a definitely qualified doctor.

44. areamusicale

areamusicale2 months ago

I dare you to google "the first vibrator"!

45. spindash64

spindash642 months ago

welp, glad that nightmare's over. Now for society to catch up on the fact that men can have neurological disorders as well. ...yeah, I may have a slight angle here...

46. at BitcoinJake09

at BitcoinJake092 months ago

Omgroflmao.... Historical Ignorance

47. luckyOcean_Cat

luckyOcean_Cat2 months ago

Freud!!

48. Zach

Zach2 months ago

Despite being removed from the DSM in 1980 Hysteria made a huge comeback in 1987 thanks to such hits as Pour Some Sugar on Me, Love Bites, and Armageddon It.

49. greenjelly01

greenjelly012 months ago

It's true... a woman's uterus got up and walked around right out of her body. It became Ann Coulter.

50. Storyteller's Lullaby

Storyteller's Lullaby2 months ago

Considering how I saw a comment on it, do you guys think you could do a video on Endometriosis? As a long time viewer of your videos, you all made it so someone whose illness makes doing anything a dream can still learn & fall back in love with knowledge. Thank you. People that have the chronic illness don't have many allies because its either ignored, brushed aside 'cos it doesn't exist, and to have you all look into it will allow more people to be aware of this debilitating illness. ((Everyone is having a good laugh over the Wandering Uterus, but... Endo is basically that, but its the lining of the uterus that throughout the body.))

51. bigghoss762

bigghoss7622 months ago

I think there was also a (un)healthy dose of "Doctor, my wife's not acting right. She's not giving me sex whenever I want and she's expressing independent thoughts."

52. Exo's proud mama bear

Exo's proud mama bear2 months ago

Having sex regularly actually helps reducing depression and anxiety so they were kind of right about the solution

53. jedigecko06

jedigecko062 months ago

I honestly can't tell if that cartoon-uterus-with-a-face is cute or scary.

54. warhawkjah

warhawkjah2 months ago

Scientists have a long history of accepting absurd theories as true because they fail to test them with basic logic. Whenever someone tells you most scientists think climate change is human caused just remember there was a time when they thought the uterus had a mind if it's own.

55. MissLilyputt

MissLilyputt2 months ago

C’mon, doesn’t anyone want to tell people that they’re emotional because their uterus wandered to their elbow?

56. ycr424

ycr4242 months ago

a long history of men not knowin what to do with uteruses n surrounding area. n what happened to whyyyyyy vibes were created. cuz docs got tired of diddlin women out of their "hysteria".......likely story doc. but funny how vibes are a multi million dollar industry for countless gals who still dont have a man or one who can finish the job. siiiiiiiigh, a womans work is never done. ;}

57. Cody Erlanger

Cody Erlanger2 months ago

I am a guy, Uterus Hysteria seems somewhat sexist. Where are the Women doctors to counter argue this belief.... Oh yeah in the kitchen Xray much to comfirm/disprove this quack belief.

58. Corey McGuire

Corey McGuire2 months ago

Why didn't you have Dr. Doe guest host this one? She would have been perfect and it would have sent more viewers her way. Her channel is the most important channel on MReporter!

59. Deshka Darkstorm

Deshka Darkstorm2 months ago

Uterus wandering around the body does kind of sound like an incredibly basic, misunderstood description of endometriosis though, which is a very common condition that needs more awareness.

60. Michael Oscar

Michael Oscar2 months ago

Pre-20th century medicine is just terrifying

61. Carol Peletier

Carol Peletier2 months ago

Oh dear husband, it pains me to say this... But my uterus ran off again. Could you help me find and catch it?

62. Scopes

Scopes2 months ago

*Nasty Nas is your area 'bout to cause MASS HYSTERIA!*

63. pe E

pe E2 months ago

Wow a lot of stuff from that show another period is making sense lol

64. Linh Tran

Linh Tran2 months ago

{\_/} (x_x) Bunny lived a good life.. /v v\

65. Sythicol

Sythicol2 months ago

For pleasure or for belief? I mean they did make a vibrator so maybe they probably thought it was a cure.

66. Sprat-Lane

Sprat-Lane2 months ago

but I actually do experience hysteria during my menstrual tho...😂😂😂

67. Matt Bachmann

Matt Bachmann2 months ago

Yea the Sawbones podcast covered this much better like two years ago.

68. NihilisticEntropy

NihilisticEntropy2 months ago

We thought they were wrong, but now...

69. sent4dc

sent4dc2 months ago

Hmm, actually diagnosing it as "not enough sex" still sounds like a good idea. How do I get my gf's doctor read this?

70. Veo 16

Veo 162 months ago

what the hell is hysteria?

71. Deividas NC

Deividas NC2 months ago

they use IBS now then can't find anything

72. SayWhat?

SayWhat?2 months ago

Rarely are real solutions/answers found for anything [with any pressing importance] where someone financially and/or physically benefits from the current state of ignorance. "Yes mam, you have hysteria! Would you prefer to buy my expensive tonic or be cured by my firm medical shaft of discretion?"

73. mr. tata

mr. tata2 months ago

Ha! Lady parts😉

74. Pragnan Saha

Pragnan Saha2 months ago

Fear the almighty UTERUS !!!

75. Dont Look At Me

Dont Look At Me2 months ago

If I had a hole in my body that bled profusely every month I’d be crazy too.

76. Plotuis Sonatas

Plotuis Sonatas2 months ago

This is not what I read in the ancient medical records. Where on earth did he get This? Smelling salts were only used to revive or prevent swooning from malnutrition.

77. Quaglium Quagnarr

Quaglium Quagnarr2 months ago

1:43 Reel it in with a coat hanger

78. Quaglium Quagnarr

Quaglium Quagnarr2 months ago

I want the next Mars Rover to be called "Wandering Uterus."

79. Thomas Lewis

Thomas Lewis2 months ago

Not a single Muse joke was made. Disliked

80. Devon Roberts

Devon Roberts2 months ago

So back then doctors didn’t admit when they don’t know what is wrong and blamed it on general misunderstood diseases?! Jeez, glad that doctors are sooooo much different nowawadays..

81. spijkerpoes

spijkerpoes2 months ago

Well, i might have to disagree on the progress we supposed to have made. Please watch Jennifer Brea mreporter.net/v/video-Fb3yp4uJhq0.html

82. Daniel Turner

Daniel Turner2 months ago

MS used to be considered hysteria, many me/cfs patients are wrongly diagnosed with conversion disorder.

83. Mitchell Mammel

Mitchell Mammel2 months ago

Well, women are more emotional than men, but the "wandering uterus" is a bit odd.

84. Babydoll Jim

Babydoll Jim2 months ago

Some still believe it’s the fault of the uterus if you have “emotional problems” (my parents for example). I just got a hysterectomy and my dad said: “maybe you’ll be relieved of some of your emotional issues now...” 😂😂😂 my whole life they had me believing that my depression or moodiness was because of my periods! 😂😂😂. Yea, the notion still exists...

85. Lau Frances

Lau Frances2 months ago

How disturbing, woman were forced to have sex

86. Raul M.

Raul M.2 months ago

And Number one selling "Consumer Electronic" product is!?..." Ding!!!!🙈

87. Scott Lilja

Scott Lilja2 months ago

"The strange but true history of women being batshit crazy"

88. mrdabbleswithpotion

mrdabbleswithpotion2 months ago

"Ouuwwwhhh deeetata!! Ouww he's like a woman on a monthly period, you see, ouwwhh! I know how it is to have periods, so I think it what he has! Deee" That was Hank's mother. Condescends a lot and can only relate to anything by relating to herself (basic, in other words). She's intelligent. Read my commentary here, as I don't like repeating myself: mreporter.net/v/video-Gc6J59Hkc6M.html Although I have to (repeat myself).

89. Raul M.

Raul M.2 months ago

soo many questions.. but I keep hearing the Meme, "It's a Trap!", each time I question things👀

90. Christian Changer

Christian Changer2 months ago

0:25 That's a statue of man, you know...

91. Candy Colon-Rivera

Candy Colon-Rivera2 months ago

Just wanna S/o to all the women commenting, who’ve experienced lesser medical treatment, diagnosis & overall care. I’ve never experienced that kind of treatment myself, actually the opposite, if I had to judge. I hope any & all who have been dealt with that kind of treatment, immediately complain to a superior & make sure you’re heard & taken seriously. Obviously, find a different provider, who listens & treats you as important & equal.

92. RickySTT

RickySTT2 months ago

It was the corsets. Definitely the corsets. I don’t know why they couldn’t figure out that deliberately squeezing a woman’s internal organs out of place would cause swooning, all the while blaming it on one organ supposedly just wandering around on its own.

93. devin burleson

devin burleson2 months ago

So is this where hysterectomy comes from?

94. niCole Bright

niCole Bright2 months ago

But smelling salts do really wake up unconscious people...

95. TK Wallace

TK Wallace2 months ago

DR. ELIZABETH MACMILLAN (deadpan): Looks like a nerve powder, usually prescribed for women of course, the hysterical sex, for nervous exhaustion, emotional collapse, wandering wombs... PHRYNE FISHER: Why on Earth would a womb wander? MAC: Unnatural behavior will do it, according to Hippocrates. Like celibacy. PHRYNE: Oh good, mine’s not going anywhere. - “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries”, S1E1. Set in 1920s Melbourne, Australia.

96. Wealllovemerylstreep !

Wealllovemerylstreep !2 months ago

Someone with a wandering uterus today would seem quite promiscuous today.

97. Breona Warren

Breona Warren2 months ago

I studied some of this, so basically women who suffered from anxiety or often felt anxious was “treated” using orgasm. Basically the rush of hormones from it temporarily relaxed the woman etc etc

98. Belligerent Drunk

Belligerent Drunk2 months ago

LOL wtf is this Nonsense

99. Brianna frasier

Brianna frasier2 months ago

God i hate the men of yester years.... so glad i wasnt born in the era's before... 1970 'women had no place but to serve their husbands & men were always right' BLAH!! Anywho- Love you hank! Keep doing what you do ☺

100. IT'S NOT A BAD DICK

IT'S NOT A BAD DICK2 months ago

Nah, I hear Muse

101. Finn Cousins

Finn Cousins2 months ago

At about 4:00 my phone thought he said "hey Siri" and opened Siri and I was confused af