GRAPEFRUIT PEEL STEAK Bistec de Toronja | HARD TIMES - recipes from times of food scarcity

Comments

1. LordLoki81

LordLoki81Day ago

Try to soak the pith in very cold water to remove the bitterness next time. Along with the cold bath you can add a pinch of salt and vinegar. It helps neutralize the bitter flavor.

2. Patrick Fairbanks

Patrick FairbanksDay ago

You should try Coca-Cola Cake

3. Lindsey Jae

Lindsey JaeDay ago

Im addicted to your channel, love your spirit!!

4. Deborah S

Deborah SDay ago

Would love to see you try this again testing various marinades, sauces or perhaps brines to get rid of bitterness. You did a great job of removing the pith layer.

5. Mitters

MittersDay ago

🍋😬

6. Jennifer Hartlove

Jennifer HartloveDay ago

Did you try making candied peels with the shavings? Good for digestion...

7. John Nnyanzi

John NnyanziDay ago

*crunch* *crunch* *crunchy* *crunch* o _O “...mhmm... ...It definitely tastes bitter...”

8. Buzz Armstrong

Buzz ArmstrongDay ago

try the pommelo. it has a lot of pithe

9. Enrique Ramírez

Enrique Ramírez2 days ago

My granny told me she used to boil them changing water and boiling again three times to rid out of the bitterness

10. Byron Lee

Byron Lee2 days ago

I didnt know Cuban cooking also utilized the white fleshy part of grapefruit! In Chinese cooking, a certain dish uses the white fleshy part of pomelo (distant cousin of grapefruit)

11. Rae Crothers

Rae Crothers3 days ago

I did some more research on this recipe and learned that if you have vinegar, you can soak the piths in that first to draw out some of the bitterness. (source: www.islalocal.com/bistec-toronja-la-curiosa-receta-cubana/)

12. Sailrjup12nh

Sailrjup12nh3 days ago

I am not sure I want to poop out a pith

13. Anna Lockwood

Anna Lockwood3 days ago

Just a thought. I wonder if you were to presoak for a time like maybe 10 minutes the grapefruit steak in beef broth. Let it drain off and then do your egg and flower. I'm just curious if that would lend a steak flavor also taking out the grapefruit skin bitterness. Would you be able to give it a try and give your thoughts? Thank you so much for these videos. I truly enjoy watching them, they really relax me and give me ideas for meals. Also for condiment, what about tarter sauce that has lemon juice in it?

14. KIP SLAYER

KIP SLAYER4 days ago

I want if you bine it in would it change the taste makes me curious to try.

15. Ashley Flores

Ashley Flores4 days ago

Emmy has a such a scientifical approach to her recipes she’s never tried before, especially when she asks her questions about the outcome, first. It’s so cute!

16. emperor-chipotle

emperor-chipotle4 days ago

I had the impression it was actual steak fried with a kind a grapefruit syrup.

17. Crystal Wizard

Crystal Wizard4 days ago

You know, Emmy, just because people could find a way to eat something when they had no food, does not mean the stuff they ate was all that good for them or nutritious. The Dutch people found a way to eat Tulip bulbs when they had to, but I don't recommend it as a normal sort of food.

18. LBC4211

LBC42114 days ago

Hey, also, my mom grew up on the depression so when I was growing up mom fixed a lot of those depression style meals her mom used to make - one of my favorites she called 'depression stew' - it was really a soup - mix ground beef egg bread crumbs - like you would for meatloaf, but she'd crumble it and brown it in some oil with some already sautéed diced onion like you might for making sloppy joes, then she'd open 2 cans of baby peas and add diced already cooked potatoes, add salt and pepper and some crusty bread and you are good to go! I'm vegetarian and I tell you I just substitute the frozen veggie crumbles and it's really good that way to!

19. LBC4211

LBC42114 days ago

I wonder if you marinate it first, like in soy sauce, teriyaki or worcestershire if that would help take away the bitterness. I know eggplant parm is like this - the eggplant is meaty due to it being pithy, and it's bitter too. Think some folks sweat the bitter out with salt then rinse it - some soak it in lemon water (but I can't see how sour will overcome bitter seems like it would intensify it) -- but this would be interesting to noodle around with -- thanks!!!

20. MyBabyReads

MyBabyReads5 days ago

www.mypersiankitchen.com/how-to-sliver-and-remove-bitterness-from-orange-peel/

21. agirly1503

agirly15035 days ago

Looks soooo good!

22. Glitchy Kiwi

Glitchy Kiwi5 days ago

Looked like fish to me honestly. Yum.

23. Santiago Gomez

Santiago Gomez5 days ago

Do you have a video with cooking Jackfruit?

24. Shannon Sunshine

Shannon Sunshine5 days ago

Saaameee on the talking too much on report cards and to yourself. I never got that sibling though

25. Omari Thompson

Omari Thompson6 days ago

I didn’t know you can just separate the fruit from the pith that easily.

26. islezeus

islezeus6 days ago

Feed this to a vegan and see how quickly they go to real meat

27. islezeus

islezeus6 days ago

Why did she write "drill" @8:50? Did she think it looked like a small dildo?

28. Liam Matley

Liam Matley6 days ago

Interesting.. but I don't like bitter tasting things

29. Janeal Christensen

Janeal Christensen6 days ago

I love this & your fruit series! You are so fun to listen to. My grandma told me of breakfast sausage patties made from oats, that might be fun to try. I think the biggest trick would be getting the seasoning just right. 😊

30. Debby Munn

Debby Munn7 days ago

Simmer the peel in boiling water for 5 mins before draining and then try breading it, should get rid of some of the bitterness (that is what I have seen done with other recipes that use citrus peel as part of the dish)

31. mai mai

mai mai7 days ago

2:30 my family does that too!

32. CHUCKIE'S BRIDE

CHUCKIE'S BRIDE8 days ago

I wouldnt of peeled the grapefruit

33. Tammy Stratford

Tammy Stratford8 days ago

I would soak the rinds in salt water overnight and try to leach that bitterness out.

34. Jenifer Chiodo

Jenifer Chiodo9 days ago

Notice how each sample she takes gets smaller by the time shes trying the Katsup😂

35. First Name Last Name

First Name Last Name9 days ago

The Vietnamese have a desert made from this. There is a step to draw out the bitterness. But they dice it up. If you're interested, look up 'che buoi' ***edit, Viets use pomelo but if imagine it'll be the same kinda thing.. We also use watermelon skin and pickle them, crunchy and soaks in the flavour

36. Alan Valschi

Alan Valschi10 days ago

Can you try adobo next? Pleeeeeeeesaaase Emmy senpai

37. Linda Bealer

Linda Bealer10 days ago

Late, but ah well. One of my family's poor times meals was during summer blueberry season, we'd all go out into the woods with tin cans (pierced and threaded with string, so we could carry the cans like a pendant on a necklace.) We'd spend all day in the woods, picking blueberries, and when our little can was full, we'd dump them in a large bucket where our mothers were waiting. At the end of the day, we'd go back to the house, where our Moms and us older girls would pick through and clean/rinse the berries. Then a little bit of sugar was added and the berries would be boiled on the stove. Once the berries were nearly done, a moist flour/dumpling mixture was spooned onto the top, and it all would steam awhile. Then we would feast until our child metabolism was overcome with fruit/carbs/sugar. The meal was called, in swamp-yankee jargon- "blueberry slump." I don't recall having any digestive issues with this meal, but adult me wonders if maybe I just don't remember that part, because I cannot imagine NOT having some sort of issue!

38. Audrey Carroll

Audrey Carroll10 days ago

A wonderful resource is the book: AUNT SAMMY’S RADIO RECIPES, The Great Depression Cookbook * by Ruth Van Deman and Fanny Walker Yeatman * edited by Martin Greif * UNIVERSAL BOOKS, New York * 1975. I got this book when I went away to university, because I knew I was going to be dirt poor. Lots of fun recipes and a great history lesson!

39. Frank Conrad

Frank Conrad11 days ago

*emmy definitely smokes pot*

40. Manny's Book Bag

Manny's Book Bag11 days ago

I'm pretty sure we used to eat this with rice, black beans, and fried sweet plantains. The sweet plantains were the balance of the dish.

41. Kasia

Kasia12 days ago

4:03 - having conversations with oneself is a sign of high intellect and rich imagination. Unless of course it becomes uncontrollable, raging and downright nonsensical and violent, then it could be a sign of insanity. You have nothing to worry about though, you're definitely the first type.

42. M M1989

M M198913 days ago

I wouldn't mind giving this a try as a meat substitute, but the only thing that would throw me is the bitterness.

43. Nunnuv Yorbizniz

Nunnuv Yorbizniz13 days ago

I wonder if using pomelo pith would be even better

44. Presca From BC

Presca From BC13 days ago

Don't feel bad, I talk to myself quite a bit and I do have a younger sibling LOL

45. Brian R.

Brian R.16 days ago

Wow, what an interesting video series.

46. Moon Shadow Essentials soap’s and more

Moon Shadow Essentials soap’s and more17 days ago

I actually wanna try this! Let's be honest u could fry a shoe and it would taste good w a lil Ketchup or BBQ sauce lol I'm up to trying it.

47. Yecheskel Layoun

Yecheskel Layoun17 days ago

Best channel on MReporter.

48. Rico Farrari

Rico Farrari18 days ago

I love how your show the one of you reviewing fruit how it comes on in the beginning "fruity fruity fruity" that's awesome.

49. moogie1954

moogie195418 days ago

I would imagine that preparing the "cutlets" like veal/chicken parmesan, it would cover the bitterness. I'm thinking about trying it like that! A nice marinara and some mozzarella and parmesan often improves about anything! LOL

50. CHUCKIE'S BRIDE

CHUCKIE'S BRIDE19 days ago

I would of added lea and perrins worecheshire and cayenne seasoning salt to the egg and afterwards

51. CHUCKIE'S BRIDE

CHUCKIE'S BRIDE19 days ago

Love eating grapefruit with salt...yum yum makes my mouth water thinking about it

52. Koriander Yander Dreams

Koriander Yander Dreams19 days ago

"I like things squirted in my face"

53. Luke MF-Knocks

Luke MF-Knocks18 days ago

I have a lot of semin i could squirt in your general direction

54. Koriander Yander Dreams

Koriander Yander Dreams19 days ago

she speaks so slow that I have to speed up the video

55. Madelin Claire G

Madelin Claire G20 days ago

*all the vegetarians have entered the chat*

56. Xion Memoria

Xion Memoria20 days ago

According to my grandma, the pith could be soaked in a meat stock or fried in bacon grease to give a meatier flavor. She also says ketchup is a must.

57. scienz chic

scienz chic21 day ago

Good job...really well done! Looks absolutely delicious! I heard pith actually full of micronutrients. Maybe add a gravy, raspberry coolie or applesauce to it to counter the bitterness.

58. MiLaws

MiLaws22 days ago

I like how she made sure we knew that was a drill in the back.

59. Collin Hunter

Collin Hunter22 days ago

long time ago, wen i was younger, i used to like doing things like this andremembered i made fish from rice, breaded or battered, was from ww2 years. not very convincing from memory

60. Celfyndel

Celfyndel24 days ago

I wish I liked grapefruit..but they taste toxic to me. Kind of like how bug spray smells is how grapefruit tastes to me if that makes sense..this recipe looks super interesting regardless of my aversion!

61. Andrew Bartley

Andrew Bartley24 days ago

I like her she always has a positive about things

62. Vera Braswell

Vera Braswell26 days ago

Amazing!

63. Die Potato

Die Potato27 days ago

u should make itadakimasu merch

64. Die Potato

Die Potato27 days ago

Great vegan steak👍🏼

65. Die Potato

Die Potato27 days ago

I love how u don’t make fun of the culture an u keep an open mind. A lot of people would be like “grapefruit peak as steak?!” “That’s fucking stupid” “that’s gonna taste nasty*

66. Erika Fiore

Erika Fiore27 days ago

What if you soak the peels in water for an hour before seasoning them? Wonder if it would take the bitterness out.

67. Perpetual.Art

Perpetual.Art29 days ago

What did you think it was going to taste like? The pith is totally bitter.

68. Joana Ester Gonçalves Lins

Joana Ester Gonçalves LinsMonth ago

You can do tea of the skin, is delicious, but you have to dry them first

69. Nancy Hastings-Trew

Nancy Hastings-TrewMonth ago

Would soaking in milk help with the bitterness?

70. DOINKER

DOINKERMonth ago

I'm told you're supposed to blanch it before you fry it to get rid of the bitterness. Have you tried this?

71. MARKIE GREEN

MARKIE GREENMonth ago

Marinate the peel in chicken stock overnight and then Bread, and fry it!

72. El LaPoint

El LaPoint17 days ago

MARKIE GREEN or veggie

73. Charles hewitt

Charles hewittMonth ago

Emmy you should have boiled the pit first to remove the bitterness and squeze the juices before the breading process so the pit act like a spongr and absorb the eggs and give it a meat like taste too ,chinese people do boil to remove the bitterness im sure it will taste alot better

74. lechatboote

lechatbooteMonth ago

My report cards said that too lol.

75. Emily Erxleben

Emily ErxlebenMonth ago

Talking to yourself actually makes u smarter, and not only that but you get the best advice too. 😊

76. Genie Long

Genie LongMonth ago

I have a recipe for candy made from the pith. It’s an old Jewish recipe from Eastern Europe, from a time when it was hard to be a Jew there. It’s supposed to taste a bit like marshmallows. I haven’t tried it yet. I wonder if pomelo would work for the steak - they have very thick pith.

77. JustTheBeginning

JustTheBeginningMonth ago

That is really cool!

78. Tahera Hoque

Tahera HoqueMonth ago

If you wanted to maintain nutrition, wouldn't it be better to just eat the pitch raw? I could eat the pith

79. el scientifico

el scientificoMonth ago

@3:33... okay. Duly noted.

80. Mary Beth

Mary BethMonth ago

This would be a good vegetarian option for someone wanting something new :)

81. nickyb2u

nickyb2uMonth ago

Sounds like migraine headache waiting to happen.

82. karma justice

karma justiceMonth ago

Wtf? Grapefruit skin steak? 😱

83. Rabbit

RabbitMonth ago

6:17 “paper towling”

84. KT breathe

KT breatheMonth ago

what if you made katsu don with it? drench it in dashi and soy and mirin and eggs.

85. Paula Jones

Paula JonesMonth ago

You are so down to earth, Emmy!! 😘😘😘😘

86. Kant Relate Kris

Kant Relate KrisMonth ago

Should've used Orange pith, probably would've been less bitter.

87. Keren Tanco

Keren TancoMonth ago

I think the type of grapefruit she used is totally different from the white gratefruit variety find in the Carribean. Those are white in the inside not pink. Because I can tell the difference in flavor from the two types of grapefruit. Wonder if the same happens with their pith. Would they taste different?

88. Nathan

NathanMonth ago

Like others said, you gotta soak out the bitterness. It's mentioned here: mreporter.net/v/video-v-XS4aueDUg.html

89. LuRo

LuRoMonth ago

I doubt cubans didn't have a procedure to eliminate the bitterness first and then marinate the pith....

90. Connie Moore

Connie MooreMonth ago

just found your channel, love it :) you always make me laugh ( thumbs up )

91. UsenameTakenWasTaken

UsenameTakenWasTakenMonth ago

"Drill"

92. FUZZII EVERLOVE

FUZZII EVERLOVEMonth ago

I love grapefruit it is one fruit that I eat all summer long grapefruit and cherries and green apples the only thing is the pink grapefruit is the only one that doesn't bother my stomach I can eat it all day all week and it's no problem anything other than a pink grapefruit and I'm going to have to call off work SORRY BOSS CAN' T GET OFF THE POTTY .....

93. Marcello Bomfim

Marcello BomfimMonth ago

Awesome video! Thank you!

94. Stephanie Hewett

Stephanie HewettMonth ago

You can freeze the peel and use it in recipes that call for zest.

95. Leave Please

Leave PleaseMonth ago

If you smothered it in cheese would that help 😮

96. Leave Please

Leave PleaseMonth ago

She did not just mince garlic using one hand JESUS HUMANS ARE SMART

97. Cari Rios

Cari RiosMonth ago

Looks like fish to me I would imagine it being eaten with tarter sauce or whatever

98. E S

E SMonth ago

That's crazy that my mouth was watering bc it looks so much like meat haha

99. Carey Allen

Carey AllenMonth ago

What is the nutritional value of this yummie looking fried grapefruit pith?

100. Katarzyna Wanda Jeziorska

Katarzyna Wanda JeziorskaMonth ago

I made this. It is the worst thing I ever eaten (i love grapefruit btw) and I feel really sorry for people that ate this back then. Tutorial 👍 dish 👎

101. annieJane nerib

annieJane neribMonth ago

Maybe try soaking the pith in salted water for an hour or two then draining iit and pressing out the liquid as in prepping eggplant. Should take out the bitterness.

102. Brandon M

Brandon MMonth ago

Maybe a marinade beforehand could help?