Adam Savage Tests the Best Ways to Sear a Steak!

Comments

1. Adam Savage’s Tested

Adam Savage’s Tested3 months ago

How do you cook your steak? Anyone try this method?

2. doccyclopz

doccyclopzHour ago

Thanks Adam for this video! I tried it last weekend (Sous-Vide & Chimney) Absolutely the Best Backyard Steak I have ever tasted! What made it taste even better was that my vegan Nephew insisted on searing them for me! I cannot Praise you guys enough for this video...Everyone should try this method at least once (you'll never go back) QUESTION: I was wondering about the max temperature generated by the "Chimney" ?

3. Tim Kern

Tim KernMonth ago

I am always mixing up and trying new grill methods. I've noticed huge differences in the radiant heat output between various types of kingsford briquettes. Though conversations with others and a little investigative research I've determined that the ash layer on the outside of the coals can inhibit the radiant heat. I was never really able to notice it in my weber kettle when i would grill steaks in a traditional fashion, on the grates over the coals. The dome thermometer, rising up and down as i cooked, etc. I decided to mix things up a bit and tried two variants: a cast iron pan, placed on the grate, and a GrillGrate setup, placed on the weber grate. Once i had blocked the radiant heat component out of the equation for the dome thermometer, i noticed that i was only achieving about 500 degrees or so with the traditional blue bag charcoal. When i switched over to their competition briquettes or used BGE lump, i was able to pin my Tel Tru thermometer on the dome to >750 °F. between the pre-heated cast iron pan and the grill grates, i would say that i prefer the cast iron pan. I like keeping the smoke out of the kitchen. using the pan on the grill also allows me to smoke the steak a bit. With either method I always use an IR thermometer to measure the surface temperature. You can't rely on the dome temp to accurately measure the temperature at the cooking surface of the grill. In any event, ... those have been my recent learnings as of late.

4. BLACKSYNTH

BLACKSYNTHMonth ago

I just fry it on a Cast iron pan with butter or good rich Olive oil, then let it rest on a rack over the pan with foil over it to let the pan smoke out flavouring the meat asd it rests. Sous-Vide seems like a long way around to get the same results but I it does look interesting, does Sous-Vide render down the fats inside the meat? like it would on a hot cast iron pan?

5. shop vids

shop vidsMonth ago

Sure do. Try beef tenderloin (best if you get whole one and break it down yourself into separate muscle groups), cut in to nice thick steak portions, then sous vide with 'no seasoning or salt". Season with Montreal steak spice (ground to fine powder) and a sprinkle seasoned salt. Sear over charcoal (not briquettes) when they are smoking hot. You don't even need a knife, cuts with a fork and really has huge flavor.

6. Lawrence Rooney

Lawrence RooneyMonth ago

Soot doesnt come from flames, soot can come from what is causing the flames. Flame touching meat doesnt have any bad effects as long as you are attentive and don't let it burn.

7. Joseph Buckler

Joseph BucklerHour ago

Good call using strip steaks.. Ribeye tastes better but loin steaks are way more consistent in fat distribution.

8. dont worry about it

dont worry about it2 days ago

Fastest of the cooking methods. Almost as if the temperature got hotter each time aswell.

9. David Vu

David Vu2 days ago

13:18 that what she said

10. Lee Gibson

Lee Gibson7 days ago

Americans ruining good steak. Should be a minute a side on the highest heat you can and still bloody in the middle. :D

11. Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne Pepper9 days ago

Salivating like mad!!! Time for Supper!!!

12. Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne Pepper9 days ago

Knock off its horns and wipe it butt!!! I like red meat as rare as I can get it!

13. Sona Hajra

Sona Hajra10 days ago

Why people open a channel to show most unhealthiest way of cooking meat..wtf...useless..is it some cooking show or wealding training show

14. Eitan Touboul

Eitan Touboul17 days ago

Whoever color graded this video, didn’t.

15. Scotty B

Scotty B20 days ago

What kind of coals in the chimney? Regular briquettes or lump charcoal?

16. Uckerfay

Uckerfay21 day ago

Adam Savage is such a Good, Down-to-Earth guy. treats everyone around him in an extremely kind and respectful manner. I would love to "meat" the man someday and pick his brain.

17. Mike W

Mike W25 days ago

Did you ever overthink anything; pretty sure this is an example.

18. Norman Gillespie

Norman Gillespie28 days ago

Without the 5 min Minimum resting .... I need to try this Frozen after first part and then the torch methode, Wow great ideal when fishing in those very remote areas....

19. Laura Griffin

Laura Griffin28 days ago

Great video guys, I've been trying different methods of searing my sous-vide steaks and haven't found anything that's just perfect yet. I'm looking forward to trying the charcoal chimney tonight. And I'm really glad I watched this before dropping $75 on the searzall.

20. Thomas Pickens

Thomas PickensMonth ago

Searing is basically attempting to simulate a "perfect" forest fire. But in this case no animals were burned alive. 🔥😂🔥

21. denbronco44

denbronco44Month ago

Adam Savage is too fucking annoying to listen to

22. Daniel

DanielMonth ago

You can see all that pepper burnt.

23. Daniel

DanielMonth ago

It's Maylard reactions not Browning.

24. SeeWorthy Glass

SeeWorthy GlassMonth ago

2:16 Adam Savage finally understands the point, 3rd times a charm. Glad to see he’s also high for this video💨

25. Kis Jorgensen

Kis JorgensenMonth ago

DON'T put pepper on before searing, the pepper will burn, ad it after, when the meat is resting..

26. Ken Dawa

Ken DawaMonth ago

How come you didn’t let the steak rest prior to cutting?

27. kyzersniper

kyzersniperMonth ago

Burnt meat...smh

28. Protopiper

ProtopiperMonth ago

The only steaks I buy come pre packaged and fully cooked. Then I hire NASA to fly them into deep space and grill them on the surface of the sun....only way to go if you ask me.

29. sam blonde

sam blondeMonth ago

yea, cause we all suvee(sp) our steak before we sear..

30. Paul Beeby

Paul BeebyMonth ago

Stick to spaceships Adam

31. dnlkr

dnlkrMonth ago

Adam, go to Guga in Miami :p he'll teach you all there is to know about searing from sous vide. The searing series champion will be of interest to you.

32. MrBingping

MrBingpingMonth ago

salt and pepper heavily, let steak sit out for half hour-hour, Charcoal grill, two zone, ~600°, cast iron griddle over the coals let it come to temp before putting the steak on, sear one side at a time; flipping every 15 seconds is unnecessary and you're overworking it. Even cooking shouldn't be a concern when searing, you shouldn't really be cooking much at all when searing. Move indirect on a raised rack over a drip tray with butter, olive oil, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Pour the juice from the griddle over the steak in to the drip pan. Brush the steak every couple minutes and rotate. Cook to ~120°, loose tent for a minimum of 10 minutes before cutting. Done.

33. MrBingping

MrBingpingMonth ago

Wait so does the fat not render with sous vide? Cuz that's fucking dumb

34. Coen van der zalm

Coen van der zalmMonth ago

Kenji keeps cutting away the best part. The FAT. My mate, the flavour is mostly in the seared fat. And dont put on the peper before searing, it burns… it leaves a bitter taste. Salt can handle much higher temperatures. Love the experiment though :)

35. Torquil Harkness

Torquil Harkness2 months ago

I want to see Adam Savage build a pizza oven :-D

36. Gemma Kathleen

Gemma Kathleen2 months ago

"I like to fiddle with my meat" 😂😂😂

37. stoissdk

stoissdk2 months ago

13:19 One guy to another "I like to fiddle with my meat...". Sorry that one just got me ;x

38. Ron Dijcks

Ron Dijcks2 months ago

A couple things I feel I'd NOT do... I would NOT use a Searzall. They are way too slow and WILL over cook your meat, if you don't cold shock. As well, I would NOT put pepper on the steak before searing it. Pepper gets bitter when burned, or heavily seared. I like his idea about letting the steak sit in the refrigerator over night before cooking, BUT, I'd do it for 3 days, covered/wrapped with clean paper towel, thus helping to take a bit of moisture out of the meat, and this is the first step of dry aging, to a certain extent. Finally, IMHO, I've found that searing steaks on a BBQ "Chimney", with Mesquite, that gets to over 1,000f !! Searing only takes 30 to 45 seconds per side! Again, this after Sous Vide, which cooks the meat already. This step is about browning and making flavor! Also on the Chimney, they commented that you can only do one at a time. I've had no trouble doing 2, or even 4, but it does take a bit of "grill management"!, thus transferring them to and from the grate. Again, you can easily do 2 strips at a time. So, for me? After Sous Vide, ...Cold Shock, ...Salt, ...then the Chimney with Mesquite. The Chimney does take a few extra minutes to set up, but it's worth it for the final product! Then you can add any final spices, pepper, etc.. Thanks!

39. Ron Dijcks

Ron Dijcks2 months ago

I was typing this as this video was playing! I didn't know that they'd be using one! As it turns out, they also like the Chimney! LOL (to me!) But I'd definitely use mesquite, just wait for it to turn to coals, as it does spark a lot when heating up. AND, I would Sous Vide at 130f for 6 hours First in every case.

40. WolfsbaneFilms

WolfsbaneFilms2 months ago

Like Babish says, there is only one cure for an unseared steak: cast iron.

41. Ðîe§ê£

Ðîe§ê£2 months ago

Kenji's Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger = THE best.

42. Cody Duvall

Cody Duvall2 months ago

Do not cut off fat!! Makes steaks tastes better makes cringe

43. valvenator

valvenator2 months ago

2.3K people can't read. The title is "Adam Savage Tests the Best Ways to Sear a Steak!" They were not telling you how to cook your steak. They were just testing out the sear, period. They needed the most consistency so the used sous vide. If you don't like it stick to your tried and true.

44. valvenator

valvenator27 days ago

@Sab1 I did notice that in his pinned comment he asks "How do you cook your steak?" so I can understand the bit of confusion.

45. Chef C

Chef C2 months ago

The other guy was boring

46. Precision Knife Sharpening

Precision Knife Sharpening2 months ago

Sous Vide is the only way I cook steak. I’m not fond of grilling so I pan sear over high heat, 1 min 15 sec per side.

47. Fuente De Bendicion

Fuente De Bendicion3 months ago

Not eating the fat is a sin 😒

48. Rocknrolladube

Rocknrolladube3 months ago

That is cooking backwards. Sear first nice and hot then cook slow.

49. Robert Marshall

Robert Marshall3 months ago

worse job in the world is the film crew having to smell the cooking steaks and watch someone else eating it.

50. Justin Watson

Justin Watson3 months ago

those steaks never hit the sous vide lol the ones they searzall are totally raw...

51. Ian Gates

Ian Gates3 months ago

no cast iron skillet in this test??

52. Nemesis

Nemesis3 months ago

13:18 "I like to fiddle with my meat." Hope he washes his hands before cooking. 27:24 "Visually, you can see there's a difference." Tautology alert.

53. Brian Armstrong

Brian Armstrong3 months ago

13:18

54. Charlie Thrash

Charlie Thrash3 months ago

precooking the steaks made the experiment pointless. You can only do this with room tempature raw steak. The entire cooking process is relevant in a sear. Ya should have hired a cook. I had to catch my breath from laughing too hard when he pulled out the torch made for pastry chefs

55. Patrick Hook

Patrick Hook3 months ago

No oil at all? I've been living a lie. I always rub EVOO on the steaks, then season, then sear. Have i been doing it wrong??

56. Robert Marshall

Robert Marshall3 months ago

yes, should finish in butter. Not really if you are finishing the sear in a pan you use oil then add butter late and baste the steak a bit. Try adding the butter after you pull the steak and it is on the plate.

57. A.S.A.

A.S.A.3 months ago

This was disgustingly delicious... Now I want a chimney

58. John Cornellier

John Cornellier4 months ago

Take off your sunglasses when you talk to me. Or I walk away.

59. Ridgerunner2112

Ridgerunner21124 months ago

Partially cooking a steak Sous Vide just seems wrong.

60. animalmother556x45

animalmother556x45Month ago

.....that will leave once you try one. No comparison

61. jeffery warburton

jeffery warburton4 months ago

dont get me started dang it fire ugh eat the food tina

62. CtrlAltSk8

CtrlAltSk84 months ago

I thought they sous vide the steak but the steaks they're searing look fresh?

63. CtrlAltSk8

CtrlAltSk84 months ago

Hey y'all its summer time the best time to be wearing 3 layers?! Wtf?

64. Necralite Necralite

Necralite Necralite4 months ago

This video is terribly bad.

65. Alan Gartner

Alan Gartner4 months ago

You know he is a serious chef when he pulls out an old school steel 12" chef's knife. Awsome.

66. Mungas Yuge

Mungas Yuge4 months ago

I set out, bring to room temp, season, olive oil, as hot as possible 600°+ on charbroil gas grill, 4 minutes a side for inch thick. One flip, let rest 3 min.

67. Jon Lanier

Jon Lanier4 months ago

How to ruin a steak. Fix it rare then sear it.... you didn't release the juices.

68. Manny Hurtado

Manny Hurtado4 months ago

mreporter.net/v/video-mb4XjW9o9WM.html

69. TSALAGI1839

TSALAGI18394 months ago

It's MEAT. MEAT does NOT have carbohydrates ! ! !

70. TSALAGI1839

TSALAGI18394 months ago

Unless it's the beef liver the carbs are not present in meats such as beef. I urge you to look at the break down of nutrients for beef. Meats such as this do NOT contain this macronutrient ! ! !

71. Jasen Gibson

Jasen Gibson4 months ago

Yes, it does. Every cell in your body contains some form of carbs, proteins, and lipids. In muscle, it's mostly glycogen, which is essentially an energy storehouse for the muscle cells, which turns it into glucose (a simple sugar). Nucleotides, which make up DNA and RNA molecules, are formed with a complex sugar-phosphate backbone. So, yes carbs are present, they just less so than the proteins in this tissue. Almost no food product is 100% one thing or another. Wheat grains, which are classified as carbs due to the amount of starches and sugars they contain, also contain about 13% protein in the form of gluten. Even more in certain kinds of flour--very chewy bread is usually higher in gluten protein. And delicious.

72. Steve Do

Steve Do4 months ago

Call me lazy but I just air fry my steak now days. It gets a good cook at 400F and slight sear. I will dehydrate the surface now, though, which I haven't been doing and see if the browning gets better.

73. Florida Bearded Fisherman

Florida Bearded Fisherman4 months ago

A Weed burner is even better

74. Tim Boal

Tim Boal4 months ago

Yum over cooked and burnt meat da fuk

75. Error 404

Error 4044 months ago

2 men 9 stakes aged meat the movie.

76. Stephen James

Stephen James4 months ago

They seem stoned.

77. DT123

DT1234 months ago

What about the heat gun???

78. drewga403

drewga4034 months ago

wait... so they BOILED the meat to cook it, and then this whole video is just about dressing up the outside? Maybe I'm missing something. But in Texas, when we BBQ meat, we ACTUALLY BBQ the meat.

79. caveman

caveman4 months ago

boiled meat what a waste

80. Brian French

Brian French4 months ago

Your bringing the flame too deep to the steak you with taste the propane that way... the outer flame is what you are supposed to sear with.

81. Gabriel Felix Muñoz

Gabriel Felix Muñoz4 months ago

so pissed none of the steaks stuck to the grills. cause if that were me cooking those steaks, they would have

82. Joey G

Joey G4 months ago

Well hell I got a cutting torch in the garage.why don't we try it to?✌✌!!

83. stefan speidel

stefan speidel4 months ago

You don't flip your meat regularly when you are cooking, Adam...

84. Robert Pence

Robert Pence4 months ago

13:18

85. Artiot Toti

Artiot Toti4 months ago

This is how you get cancer

86. Brian Argo

Brian Argo4 months ago

Missed the absolute best way: directly on a burning hardwood log

87. yevgenz

yevgenz2 months ago

Yeah, the caveman style.

88. Cryptidian

Cryptidian2 months ago

Just lay it onto the burning wood? xD

89. Black hat

Black hat5 months ago

The milliard effect isn't well understood ?? Science must be irrelevant to him then. what I am about to report about the effect will change the way you cook meat and carbs alike. Mutagenic chemicals called heterocyclic amines are created in meat from the Milliard effect. I found a study that said that eating browned meat increases prostate and breast cancer risks to 430% above normal. Meat isn't as carcinogenic in its natural state, but if you fall for the cultural norm that crispy=better tasting then you'll also fall for the cultural norm of getting cancer. Marinade can in fact make meat safer to eat. The optimum amounts of onion, garlic, and lemon juice that achieved a maximum reduction of heterocyclic-amines were calculated as 31.2%, 28.6%, and 14.6% in marinade. When the amount of garlic in the marinade was changed from 2 to 20 g/100 g of marinade, the estimated mutagen content in fried beef patties was reduced about 70%. This information is according to PubMed and PubChem.

90. Justin

Justin5 months ago

No oil on the steaks before the sear? Seems the rules are always changing, but I've always brushed with olive oil first which helps to form a crust.

91. Zeke Sherrod

Zeke Sherrod5 months ago

"Hey let's 'test' the best way to sear steaks" sounds like a good excuse to eat a bunch of steak to me!

92. Tomas Lund Petersen

Tomas Lund Petersen5 months ago

Stop burning the meat. Flames should never touch the meat. All those steaks are just ruined!

93. Piotr Żwirowski

Piotr Żwirowski5 months ago

Actually, the authentic, most traditional pizza is supposed to have the dough charred somewhat

94. StopCallingMe Shirley

StopCallingMe Shirley5 months ago

Unless he's using a Saturn 5 rocket who cares.

95. jazzmosphericminim

jazzmosphericminim5 months ago

Leave the poor old girl to rest!!

96. Fireworxs2012

Fireworxs20125 months ago

Remind me to never eat Savage's house...These two yahoos don't have a clue...

97. REDEX DUKE

REDEX DUKE5 months ago

not eating the fat it the biggest sin in steak cooking

98. Ethan Blankenship

Ethan Blankenship5 months ago

"I'm so glad you joined us for dinner tonight! Sooo Here's your steak seared on an aluminum kiln"

99. Greg Sieracki

Greg Sieracki5 months ago

What a waste if time! Sear the steak on high heat for 4 mins then turn for another 4 mins then finish in the oven at 350° to ur likeness!! Get out of here with this water bath French Bullshit!

100. mech5 fab

mech5 fab5 months ago

Adam, whoever told you to wear that hat needs to be humiliatingly kicked in the crotch.

101. Rowgue51

Rowgue515 months ago

In summary we boiled some meat and then used several different methods of faking a sear on the outside. The only legitimate way to sear meat wasn't even done. I thought the only variable was supposed to be temperature so you could test the "hotter is better" theory. And yes the Maillard reaction is in fact fully understood and has been since 1953, and it doesn't work in any way even remotely similar to what chemistry boy is talking about in the video. None of your processes resulted in a sear from the Maillard reaction. They all resulted in caramelization and burning which are separate and distinct processes.

102. Rowgue51

Rowgue514 months ago

@Josh Foss You're a failed abortion

103. Josh Foss

Josh Foss4 months ago

You're very, very wrong. Hit the books.

104. Joshua Dolim

Joshua Dolim5 months ago

"I like to fiddle with my meat"

105. Rick V3lli

Rick V3lli5 months ago

dude deff burned the living shit out of his hand when he patted that torch head.

106. Thinking Impaired

Thinking Impaired5 months ago

jump to 30:00 minutes to bypass the boredom. I'm guessing around 18 or so minutes to the chimney method of searing.

107. Tn

Tn5 months ago

S'n'P is the way for me

108. JeOneSeven V9

JeOneSeven V95 months ago

Steak Busters

109. Drifting Abstract

Drifting Abstract5 months ago

Didn't need food. Just made food...while watching this.

110. Ventricon

Ventricon5 months ago

"How manly are you?" "I FORGE MY STEAKS IN THE FURNACE"

111. Francisco Vila

Francisco Vila5 months ago

have you tried an air hotgun?

112. Andras Reviews

Andras Reviews5 months ago

2.3k Hindus watched this video

113. Lukas MacAulay

Lukas MacAulay5 months ago

I hope he seasoned BEFORE sous vide too..? Why would he do it after?

114. Girltiger

Girltiger5 months ago

13:15 "Yea, I like to fiddle with my meat"

115. Benjamin Sanchez